Friday, November 23, 2012

The Next Big Thing


I've been tagged in The Next Big Thing by fellow writer Caroline Finnerty. I'm instructed to tell you all about my next book by answering these questions and then to tag five other authors about their Next Big Thing. For my tagging, I've chosen a mix of well established authors, newly published authors, and authors yet to be published by a publishing house. I hope this blog will help connect these great writers with their readers, past, present and future. 

What is the working title of your next book?
The Nicholas Note 

Where did the idea come from for the book?
For me, an idea for a book comes from many different sources. The catalyst around which this story is built was a note a neighbour of mine left on the kitchen table for her family. That was in the late seventies and could have been an urban legend. However, many people from the area still remember it today.  

What genre does your book fall under?
Contemporary fiction 

Which actors would you choose to play your characters in a movie rendition?
It’s hard to comment on this at first draft stage. In my previous two books the main character’s physical featured had to be rewritten to fit with the book cover. I’d quite like Owen Wilson for Luke, though. Colin Farrell, I’d write a character for because in fantasyland I’d be on the movie set. You did ask!  

What is the one-sentence synopsis of your book?
‘Gone to Russia, back in two weeks,’ but Maddie never did return. 

Will your book be self-published or represented by an agency?
This is my third book in my three book publishing deal with Irish publishing house Poolbeg Press. 

How long did it take you to write the first draft of your manuscript?
Still writing it! 

What other books would you compare this story to within your genre?
It will be on the lines of my two previous books, with a dysfunctional family drama. Though, I think all families are dysfunctional in their own way so perhaps a better description is modern Irish families. Of course, there will be strong travel theme also. 

Who or What inspired you to write this book?
A legally binding contract...Seriously though, writing to contract is different to writing in blind faith. A contract puts structure on your writing technique. The creative inspiration for this book is my mother. She is fighting cancer, as a result we are sharing an emotional time. Previously, we worked together and our relationship wasn’t always easy. Now that I’m older, and she isn’t the power house she once was, a new bond has formed. I wanted to explore the mother/daughter/sister dynamic through this fiction book, and because of our current circumstances I think I’ll be able to write it with authenticity and raw feeling.    

What else about your book might pique the reader's interest?
Being a research fiend, there’s an insider look at the perfume industry. Although it is not the focus of the book, merely the career of the main character, I think it will make an interesting backdrop. I hope the scenes set abroad will appeal to readers. I studied in Southern California, and I know the area well. There will also be a few chapters set in Asia. I found from my previous books, readers enjoyed the insight in to different cultures. 

My chosen authors are: 
 Mary E Coen - Emerging author 
Kathy Keane - Emerging author 
Gillian Duffy - New author of The L.A. Commandments 
Fiona O'Brien  - Best selling author 
Linda Kavanagh - Best selling author 


No comments: